February 11, 2014

Office Food Stuff

I work in an office. Because it's an office then it is mandatory that food be available. This is a hallmark of any office environment. Unfortunately most of my coworkers missed this memo. So, I, being the oh-so-helpful-I-will-pick-up-the-slack person I am, (tongue seriously in my cheek there), have gotten in the habit of bringing in all kinds of foods. 

Now I really like baking all kinds of things.  Bread being one of my most favorite foods to bake. If I don't say so myself I bake a mean bread. So on Monday mornings is THE morning to be in my office as I have fresh bread. My coworkers line up for my bread. Ok so they are already in the breakroom and it happens to be there but still. I also bake other scrumptious stuff too. Like cakes and brownies and cookies and muffins and ..... Well you get the idea. Truth be told I just like baking for someone other than myself. Plus I really like the comments I get. Like, "You are so mean" as that person is taking a handful of cookies or my personal favorite " You are EVIL." I get that one alot.

Since I need a warm place for the bread to rise I make sure my kitchen stays warm by baking all the other good things. So usually I bake a cake on the first rising. Not just any cake but a white cake, my favorite. I love white cake because it's moist and tastes like vanilla. I love everything about making that cake. I am so good at that cake that I don't even need any instructions anymore. I love to separate those eggs (and I have gotten pretty good at too!) I feel like a real baker since aren't real bakers proficient at separating eggs? I love the smell when it's baking and the look of it when it comes out of the oven. Heaven. 

While the cake is cooling I am molding the bread and leaving it for the second rising. Now it's time for the next good thing. I have a choice to make at this point. Is it cookies or brownies? Hmmmm. How much work do I want to put in at this point. Do I make that scrumptious lemon cookies or do I go with the always loved chocolate chip cookies or do I cut to the chase and just go for brownies. I got to say at this point it is usually the brownies. I am pretty tired of being in the kitchen by this time and just want to keep the kitchen warm. But let me tell you that whatever I bake at this point is a hit in the office.

Then it's time to put the bread in the oven after I have bathed it in a combination of butter/margarine, garlic salt and rosemary. Delicious. Smells good the whole time it's baking. Wrap it up and there you go. 

So I guess it's true that the way to the heart is through the tummy. Paraphrased of course. But works for me.

No comments: