February 13, 2014

Green Dress/Lucy Story

This is one of two stories that my mother likes to tell about me. I actually love this story too. I tell it when I want to emphasize that embarrassing things happen to everyone - even me. Ok they happen to me all the time, but it's still funny.

I was in college. At that time I had no need to dress up other than go out to a club to dance and get a date hopefully (another story). But I had been in jeans and t-shirts for a long time, years. I wanted to start dressing better but didn't really know how. In comes a roommate who was basically model material. She was tall and slim and nice and well you get the picture. She had a boyfriend who bought her dresses (I hated her just for that alone). Beautiful dresses. I fell in love with these dresses. One dress in particular. She had this emerald green dress with black lace that was gorgeous. I coveted this dress. I also need to say that we had a rule that our rooms were our rooms. You didn't go into each other's room unless you had permission.

So one saturday my model roommate's boyfriend came over to take her to a movie. My mother was visiting and my other roommate was home as well. So the boyfriend comes and meets us all and they leave to go to movie. I see them leave to get in their car and then I rushed back to her room to grab the dress to show my mother. Mostly to say Here Mom. I want this dress. Get this dress for me please. 

So I am showing my mother and roommate this dress when over her shoulder I see my model roommate coming back. Panicked that I had broken a rule and was now getting caught, I rushed down the hallway to put the dress back in her closet. Thinking that my mother and other roommate would distract them for the time I needed to put the dress back. I was so wrong. Nope. They didn't. I am putting the dress back into the closet as I see them coming down the hallway. Thinking that they forgot something and they pick it up and leave again I slipped into the closet. 

Now this bedroom is tiny. It fits a twin bet, a dresser and 2 feet to turn around in. The closet is only about a hanger deep and five feet long. And it is FULL. But I close the closet door and peeking out to wait for them to leave. But I don't hear them leave. Instead I hear the door close and not much else. The only "much else" I hear is indicative to - well - kissing at first and then a jacket hitting the floor and well you get the rest. Now I don't know what else to do so I am thinking that my mother or roommate will come and distract them enough for me to get out of the closet. I wait. More clothes hit the floor. I wait some more. 

Now I figure I have get myself out of this so I wonder when is the best time. Could it be when they are in the throws of passion then they wont even notice me and I can slip out? The room is WAY too small to get that done without them seeing me. I can wait until they are done and slip out then. But then she will want her robe and I am standing on it. That wouldn't be good. Now, of course, at this point I really need to use the bathroom - bad. I can't wait any longer and I decide to just chance it. I open the door and SURPRISE! It was a surprise all right. You haven't seen two more surprised faces - ever.  So I am stating my apologies and trying to explain as I am inching the two feet it takes to get out the door. 

I close the door and am so angry now that my much loved mother and trusted roommate didn't come to my rescue in some way. I get to the living room and what do I see? I see my roommate on the floor rolling around laughing so hard she needed to use bathroom and my mother on the couch laughing so hard she needed a change of clothes. I am incensed that they found my predicament so funny and that they were not feeling sorry for me in any way. The first thing they said was what were you doing in there? What do you think I was doing. Jeez. Friends hunh. Family hunh. 

I found out the next day that at least my model roommate wasn't upset and she and her boyfriend found the incident humorous.  And I did finally get my green dress a couple of years later. I love it until it couldn't be put back together anymore.

There is my Lucy story. 

No comments: