February 12, 2014

eReaders

Who is not aware of the eReader vs. a real book controversy. Okay so controversy is bit of a strong word to use, but I have been mulling this issue over for quite some time. Here are my pros and cons on the subject. What do you think?

Real Books

I have a fairly large collection of real books. I love my real books. I love looking at my real books in the bookshelves. I get a certain bit of pride looking at all the books that I have read on my bookshelves. I can look at a book and remember a section that was particularly meaningful to me when I read it. I remember it and I feel warm and fuzzy all over. So I really like my real books. I have a sense of accomplishment. 

Then I see all the books I still need to read. It can get a bit overwhelming in the amount of books I have yet to read then I say to myself, "pick one and start it - NOW". That appears to be working since I have read three of those books in the last month. What is I like about a real book you ask.  I like the tactile sensation of having a physical book in my hand. Of the sensation and excitement of turning a page and see what is next in the story and seeing how far I am come in the book. Also, how far I have to go which can be disappointing when I really like the book and don't want it to end. If that is the case it is then a frantic search on Amazon.com to find the next one. 

There are drawback with a physical book. You need to take it with you if you want to read anywhere else but home. So if I am going to my local coffee house (Starbuck's) to read for a while I need to remember to take my book with me when I leave my house. Then there is the space issue. (I have always wanted a library in my home - working on it but that is for a later post.)

eReader

I also have a Kindle Fire (1st gen.) I have learned to really like my Kindle. It was challenging at first. The same cues were not there that I so liked with a regular book but I soon figured it out. There are some cool things like an instant dictionary. I really like having so many books at my fingertips when I want to read them. Like most readers I have multiple books that I am reading at one time. It's easy to put in my purse or bag and just take with me so no carrying a dozen books with me. You get more feedback from other readers at what they liked by how many highlights there are. Plus, let's face it, it's cheaper. Doesn't take up space is another plus. Also, you can download the app onto your desktop computer (whether that be a desk computer or a laptop) and your phone. You almost don't even need the actual device itself.

But the drawback is that it doesn't take up space. I can see the fruits of my labor at a glance. I don't get that same thrill looking at my list of books that I get when I see the actual book. It's harder to mark the spots that I love the most. The pictures are not the same to look at either, if included. You really can't back and forth between the actual book and the eReader as it's harder to see where you are either in the book or in the digital version. So you have to pick one or the other. 

At least this is my thinking on this subject. I invite anyone to chime in and see what y'all think about this issue.

No comments: