March 25, 2014

Fire! Fire! Not.

I have been in my home for 7 years now. When I bought my home it was brand spankin' new. No one had lived in it. It is awesome. It is mine. Well it is in a new area and one one night I noticed someone was sitting in the car across the vacant lot and on the street. I thought this odd. He stayed there all night and was gone in the morning. Then it happened again. That's it I thought. Alarm now. 

So that is how I decided on my alarm. And I use my alarm. 

Every night and every time I leave I engage my alarm. So far so good. 

Now I also keep my windows open on occasion during the summer months. Heck I am on the 2nd and 3rd floors I should be safe. So I can override those particular windows. 


On the keypad there is the icons for Fire, Police and Ambulance. I had no idea what happens if you press these. Well I found out one night. 



I was trying to override my one window. Now I have done this so many times that I don't have to think about it. But for some reason this one night my fingers did the walking. And sure enough it hit the Fire icon. 

The alarm goes off and it's LOUD!. I am totally flustered. I immediately try to Cancel the alarm. That doesn't work. 

Now you need to know that the closest Fire Station is only a couple a blocks away. By the time that the alarm company calls me I see red lights outside my window. 

Also you need to know that this is about midnight on a Sunday night. I was going to bed so I wasn't exactly dressed for company if you know what I mean. 

I hang up with the alarm company and go running down the stairs to meet the firemen. Flying would more accurately describe my hurry. But half way down I realize I am not appropriately dressed and run back up the stairs to get my robe. Then back down the stairs and run out the door to meet the fire truck.

They were all dressed up and no fire to fight. They had all their gear on and everything. I kind of felt bad that there wasn't any something more substantial then my wandering finger. 

After I finished my story about how I had a wandering finger and begged their forgiveness over and over they finally left chuckling. Hey I know how to make an impression. Plus they were cute. 

So I learned my lesson. I am now very careful. But then it might get a little boring around here and who knows what might happen. 

 


No comments: