March 7, 2014

Being Female doesn't always work.

A friend of mine put a joke about a police woman on Facebook the other day. It reminded me of a time that I actually tried to use my femaleness to my advantage to get out of speeding ticket.

My friend Elle and I were on a road trip. We were driving down Interstate 5 (I5). Now for those of you who don't know, I5 runs North/South from Mexico to Canada.


Through the central valley of California through the middle of Oregon and on through the middle of Washington to Canada. It's pretty dang straight and in parts monotonous.  Very monotonous. Boring. I think you get the idea. 



We were driving along a stretch that was particularly boring. The view around the area was pretty but it's so straight that it can get to you. There was a military convoy in front of us. I just wanted to get going. I was on a roll. I don't want to go the speed of a turtle. This convoy of Army trucks were just crawling along. I spotted a section that I could pass them and sped on by. Being pretty young and carefree I waved to the soldiers and blew kisses at them and generally having some fun. 



Then I saw that vision that No one wants to see in the rear view mirror. Yep. The red lights of the CHP (California Highway Patrol). 

I pulled over to the side of the road and got my license and registration out. Feeling pretty good with myself after passing a bunch of smiling and whooping soldiers I decided to try a nice coquettish smile and bat my eyelashes and generally play the female card to get out of the ticket. 

I was practicing and getting ready. I asked Elle if she thought it would work. She looked back and said "I don't think so." Oh ye of little faith I thought. Watch me. I'll do it. 

I turned around and started in on my eye-lash batting and ...

You guessed it. It was a female CHP officer. My face fell and I felt a million ways foolish. Elle, being my friend, just started laughing. 

After signing for the speeding ticket and getting on my way - and coming back to pick up Elle from the side of the road that I dumped her on - not really but thought about it, I went on my merry way. Behind the convoy that had passed up while I was getting my ticket. 

Being female just doesn't always work. 

 

No comments: