May 29, 2014

The County Fair! Lord it was HOT!

Yep. I went to the Sacramento County Fair last Saturday. It was fun. I love seeing the all the little kiddos showing off their projects. Whether that be a cow or goat or horse or picture or horticulture. It is so cool to see what they can do. 

It was also 95 degrees!  Have I told you I don't do well in the heat? Well I DON'T! Seriously, I don't do well in the heat. 

I remember one time when it was a hot summer day and my mother and me were sitting out at the pool at our apartment (yes we were roomies back then.) We spent the entire day out there. Periodically dipping into the pool to get cool (me more often than my Mom for sure.) 

At the end of the day, we went in and were discussing what to eat for dinner. She was all hyped up and ready to conquer the world. The sun had really given her energy and she even wanted to go shopping. Now my mother HATES shopping. I can't tell you how much she hates it and she wanted to go shopping. Wow. How could I pass this opportunity up? But, here's the thing. The sun ZAPS me of all my energy. It was everything I could do to making on two feet to the bed for a nap. All I wanted was sleep. So off she went to the grocery store for food and off I went to the bed for sleep. 

Well it wasn't quite that bad that day at the fair. But I did  have one of the ladies manning a booth ask me how I handle the heat. I said you just make a decision that you are going to handle it. Look for cool areas and shade and take advantage when you can and just deal with the heat when you had too. 

So with that in mind I made a B-line straight the the air-conditioned tents where the vendors hawking their wares were. Yep I know how to beat the heat.

Also, the other air-conditioned tent had the exhibits.    

This was a cool Exhibit. All about camping in the 1940's and 1950's. They had those chairs that rocked and really cool vintage tables clothes and aprons. It was really interesting. With cooking demonstrations too. 

There were projects by kids with planting vegetables in wheelbarrows and then painting them. They were cute.

There was really cool photographs too. 

Then I went to the kiddos showing their horses in western handling. That was interesting. Some handled their horses really well. I loved seeing the sequin blouses and tops with black jeans and matching chaps. Also had to have the matching saddle blankets. But it was all about the horsemanship. Usually it's mostly girls but there were some boys this years too. Looking studly. 

Then I made my way over the barn area. I just made up my mind that I was going to deal with the heat. (And take advantage of each and every fan I could find. Sorry Mr. Pig but you have mud, I need the fan for a bit. Move over Ms. Cow. I NEED this cool air from your fan right now.)

I saw some cool judging with all the 4-H'ers. They look so cute in their white and green uniforms. 

I got to see some cute goats being judged. 

This kiddo had a bit of a time wrangling her goat.

Then I looked over and saw the turkeys. They were soooooooo cute. 

Then I saw this. Sorry it's blurry but it so surprised me. They leaned over and picked their turkeys up by their feet and held them there. What?! The girl at the end was having a hard time and couldn't hold her turkey poor thing

Finally she just put her turkey down and said I just can't hold him. But it was one of the more ... shall we say .... unusual things I had seen. 

Then it was over the cows. I like the dairy cows. They are big and pretty. Always seem to be calm. Must be something about being a mom I guess. 

Around and around they went. These were mostly teenagers. They were my size and had to be to handle the largess of these cows. But it was so cool to see how they handle them.

So after the judging they tied them up for a bit. I was up close and personal with little lady. She was trying to get me to milk her as she was pretty full but I resisted. I was mountain of strength and I said that it would soon be time. She just needed to wait a bit. There I told her. But isn't she just so cute?!!!!!

Ok I need to eat now. 

Yep. I found the corndog stand. Off I went to get as many calories as possible. 

There were the usual attractions. Like a really cool band was playing and I love to watch the hypnotist. I hope I didn't get hypnotized. Why am I screeching like an owl every time the phone rings? Nope. I wasn't hypnotized.

Then there was this attraction that I had a hard time with. Morally speaking. It was called Walk on the Wild Side. They had a several exotic species of cats. A tiger, and several others. 


So beautiful.

And this little guy/gal.

And this one too.

The issue I had was one of exploitation. Should these animals be put on display like this was my thinking. I finally came to the conclusion that they were there for teaching purposes. Some of the folks there had never seen these animals in any other setting than either a zoo or in a book or on National Geographic channel. It appeared they were taken care of so I went with the educational angle. Made me feel a little better anyway.

Then it was off to what I really wanted to see.

Bull Riding!!!!!!

Next time.




No comments: