July 28, 2021

2017 - The Year from Hell Part 1

2017 was my year from HELL. Yep I mean that. It was also my year that grew up the most. So it was a blessing and, yes, a curse.

CANCER!!!!! WHAT????

It started out with me dealing with a sonogram on my left breast to scan for a possible tumor. 

In late November of 2016 I went in for my biannual mammogram. I get a call that they saw something and wanted another mammogram. So I go back into the hospital (University of California at Davis Medical Center otherwise known as UC Davis) for a follow up thinking it wont be anything. Then I find out that what they found was just water filled milk duct. Nothing to write home or get worried about. But they want a sonogram to be sure. Okaaaaaaay. If you have too, I think. So I then have the sonogram. Well the original thing was nothing. Whew! But then they found something in my original something. Uh oh. Now they want a biopsy. Not in a rush as it was so small at 2mm. Fine. Get that scheduled for late January 2017. 

I forget about it totally. In the meantime my babies are sick since they are going to 17 years old it's not unexpected. 


I had not spent a night away from them in 2 years because my Big Boy needed his medicine each day. So it goes. I am working and moving along with my life. I periodically talk to my mother from time to time and that's really all there was to write home about. 

Now the biopsy comes along. I go in and it takes a couple of hours. The actual biopsy is about 10 minutes. The rest of the time is just getting ready and situated. I get poked a few times then I didn't feel anything at all. Just watched everyone opening up plastic stuff. Then it came time and they got what they needed. I get the results back in a few days and it was quite a bit of medical jargon. But it essentially was breast cancer. But at that time they called it DCIS. It had not spilled out to the surrounding tissue yet. It stayed in my milk duct. I was then set up with a surgical consult. Great. 

In the meantime I received a really impressive packet from UC Davis about what to expect and questions to ask and who I should take with me to appointments. I part that impressed me was the part where they will provide someone to go with you if you don't have anyone so they can an extra pair of ears and ask questions that you don't think to ask. In retrospect I should have done that. But being the independent person that I am and didn't want to inconvenience anyone I go by myself. Not one of my best decisions. Oh well. 

So I go by myself and the upshot was that we scheduled surgery for March 25th, 2017, since it was an in and out. I would be in surgery in the morning and out by noon. Whohoo. It was a Friday so I could recover over the weekend and wouldn't need all the following week off but could work 1/2 days on Thursday or Friday. I think to myself great. It will work out with month end and I could get all my work done.

The day comes and my friend Jo takes me to hospital. But I had to go to the Cancer Center first. It is a whole different building some distance from the main hospital. Since my tumor was so small they had to put wires in to point to the spot. I had no idea what this entailed. I would soon find out. DON'T EVER DO THIS! UC Davis is a teaching hospital. So you have to be okay with lots of young doctors doing the same things. Or in my case putting wires in my breast to point to the spot and it was her very first time. We can say Ouch! Basically I had to be smashed on the mammogram machine so they could find the spot and then in go the wires. This whole process took about 1/2 hour. Yes. I had to hold my breath repeatedly, hang onto the nurse's hand, wince, almost started to cry that whole time. It sucks! If you have to do this it's not worth it. Wait until it gets larger or dissolves on it's own. Seriously not worth it. 

From there was the only fun part. I was put in a wheelchair and an ambulance took me over to main hospital. I didn't have to figure out where to go first or anything. They just wheeled me to registration then up the per-surgical area. Got me in bed to wait for my surgery. That was really the fun part. I didn't have to do anything. 

I said that UC Davis is a teaching hospital. So I get my gown on and get my IV started. This is where every resident will come in and ask you your name, date of birth, and "What are we doing today?" Bear in mind that I am lying in bed with wires (yes real wires) sticking out of my left breast very plainly. And each time they ask me "What are we doing today?" I want to be so sarcastic and say what do you think? Don't you see these wires? Of which I obligingly say Left Lumpectomy. One cool thing though. I was cold and instead of getting heated blankets they put this lightweight paper thing with lot of air pockets and a heater at the end of the bed. It was really nice and warm. Loved that thing. There was a mix-up in the times and children had to go first. So I was there for about 3 hours before even getting the good drugs that says you're next. Yes I was hungry. Yes I was bored. Not a single nurse or doctor that checked on me was the same one twice. Residents mostly. Just like on TV some are really nice and some are just, well, less then chatty. 

Off to surgery I go. They ask me AGAIN ... Name, DOB, What are we doing today? I am pretty looped out by now and toyed with playing with them and making something up but I kept it straight. Then I woke up and I get the care instructions while I get dressed and off I go in the wheelchair for my friend Jo to pick me up. Where there were several others getting picked up so there was a line of cars. I had to wait my turn. In the rain. Yes. In the rain. I was thinking this was too funny. 

I had to go to the pharmacy to get some pain killers and they wanted me to come back as they were backed up. I am still in my surgery jacket. No I am not coming back. My friend Jo got them to fill it right away. Can you believe that?

I was just fine and went back to work on Tuesday for 6 hours. I will not do that again. I will take the whole week. Thank goodness my supervisor made me go home at noon each day that week. 

Fast forward to a month later and all was good. They got it all and it wasn't all that bad. But now comes some more craziness. I am referred to radiology for a consult. I go through everything with the resident and doctor and nurse in a very tiny room. The upshot was that it was up to me if I wanted radiation therapy or not. They refused to advise me one way or the other. WHAT?! I pressed them saying I am not educated on this subject and I need their recommendation. Nope they will not give it. It was totally up to me. By this time I have had it. So I chose not to engage their services and thank you but I am going home. If it comes up again then I will deal with it at that time. Seriously if you are not going to advise me then I am going home. And I left. 

FYI - I am glad I didn't but go through with it but 4 years later to the day I have been diagnosed with DCIS again in the same breast but in a different location. I still don't believe if I had had radiation therapy that it would have prevented this occurrence.

So this was the first big thing that happened in 2017. What a story hunh. But there is some really sad things to come in Part 2.


No comments: