July 30, 2021

2017 - My Year from Hell Part 2 - My Babies. My Children. My Cats.

EXIDE


My Big Boy. My Sylvester. My Exide. He had all those names.

Yes these 2 were everything to me. I am not blessed to have children of my own but I had these two. 2017 was a banner year. I am so glad it's no longer with us. We are well past it. But it still lingers. 2017 was the year I had to put my cats down. Not a good year.

My Big Boy (Sylvester) was first. He had been having a challenge to his health for 3 years already so it was not a surprise that it was time. But that spring when that time came it hurt. I had him for over 18 years.He was just a little guy when I heard myself say to the little tykes at my door that asked for some food that if they didn't find anyone else I would take him. I closed the door and already knew I was getting a kitten and chastised myself. "YOU SAID WHAT?!" Ha. He was so cute and fit in my hands. 

He grew by leaps and bounds and was eventually 25lbs and as big as a medium sized dog. He sat like a dog as well. He had a best temperment. Nothing bothered him. He loved to be held and as long as I paid attention to him he didn't care what I did to him. I could clip his nails no problem. He loved to be brushed and purred so loudly that if I was on the phone the other person could hear it. 

Speaking of phones - when I had a land line (way before cell phones) if anyone called he was answer the phone. I swear. He would paw the phone off and then meow into the receiver. I just couldn't get him to take a message or hang it up again. When my father was in emergency with bladder stone the nurse called then wondered if he had given her the wrong number and said that something answered but not sure what. He then moaned and said that was her cat. The nurse had to keep trying to call me. Finally got through. 

But his health was not good the last couple of years and I didn't dare leave him. So I can say that I did not leave my house for longer than 16 hours at any given time. I was ALWAYS home to give him his medicine, food and water and love. I couldn't do anything else. He had always given me so much love how could I not be there for him. 

I often wondered if he was a human person who would he be? He was so not cat like but he had so many human qualities. Dang I loved that cat so much. Whew! It's getting a bit warm here.









JULES





My baby girl. My Jules. My Julien. So small but ruled like the Queen she was. She was linked to my Big Boy. She was all girl too. Since she was 1/3 of the size of my Big Boy she would lure my Boy to play. 

 They would get pretty rough and when he was finished he would just lay on top of her to quiet her down. She would scream like there was a blood-letting or something. He would be jolted and let her up and look at her as if saying "What Up". She would run about 2 feet away and then look back and say well are coming after me? Total Queen Diva. 

She hated being held and all actions were on her schedule not anyone else's. The only time I could love on her was when she was in heat. Then she was nice and lovable. I didn't fix her early on because she was an inside cat and my Boy was fixed. Then as she got older no vet would fix her. Or it was outrageously expensive. One of those decisions that you make regarding any animal. 

She was devastated when my Big Boy didn't come back after taking him to the vet that last time. She looked for him for days. Then she declined quite quickly. Within 4 months she was gone as well. 

 GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

 Though my babies are gone I have not forgotten them. They are always with me in my thoughts. I have never gotten this close to an animal before and wonder if I ever can be again.  In some ways it was a relief. I didn't have to give them their medicine everyday and watch them for signs that would lead to a vet visit. I could go and travel somewhere without feeling guilty or trying to find someone to watch them for me. But I also don't have anyone in my bed in the morning sleeping next to me. I can honestly say that I loved them more than anything. And all these years later still miss them.




No comments: